Friday, July 22, 2016


MARY  MAGDALENE:
PI - POLITICALLY INCORRECT

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this July 22nd Feast of Saint Mary Magdalene is, “Mary Magdalene: Pi - Politically Incorrect.”

If I have it correct, when it comes to mentioning stories, incidents and interactions of Jesus with women, the gospel is revolutionary.

EQUAL RIGHTS

In the last 100 years or so,  things have improved for women in the world. We see this in wages, being allowed to vote, getting elected to political offices, etc. etc. etc. The so called “glass ceiling” takes hits with rocks from time to time.

There is still a long way to go in the middle east - and various other places in the world. Many are still often treated as second class citizens. It’s an attitude that is passed down from generation to generation.

I was visiting a woman from the parish up in Shepherd Pratt recently. The accommodations for visitors were not visitor friendly. I was in a smallish room with other visitors.  Right next to us was a Jewish family.  I assumed that because the patient’s father was  wearing a yamaka.  I found out he was a rabbi. They were - sort of - right next to us. Two or three times we connected in some comments.  When the clock hit 8 PM, we had to leave. I was saying good bye to the lady I visited - plus some the others.  I shook  the hand of the rabbi - saying, “Safe travels home.” I then reached my hand out to  his wife and he pushed my hand away big time. I said, “Ooops, I’m sorry.”

I was clueless to that point.

I should have been quicker - because of past experiences - with people from cultures I was not privy to. I had also read the book, The Bookseller of Kabul. That  was an eye opener for me about daily life amongst Muslim men and women in the capital of Afghanistan, Kabul. I assumed it was a lot tougher for women in rural areas.

WIDENING THE CIRCLE

I also remember a moment when I was with a group of men and women in a private house in Hazleton, Pa. around 1980. The men were all captains of our retreat house groups.  Lunch was served and I was completely surprised that there were only men around the table. Without thinking, I asked, “But where are the women?” And some guy said, “They are in the kitchen.” Then he added,  “They like it that way.”

So women’s roles and situations vary - all over the world - and expectations vary.

PEOPLE DIFFERENT FROM US

As Robert Frost puts it: we build walls - walling people in and walling people out.

There’s something in us that doesn’t like a wall - and there is something in us that gets us to try to be in a better situation than others.

We the United States don’t have the caste system that one still finds in India - but we need to step back and look at walls and ceilings.

Take the example of gay people.

We have seen dramatic changes in this country in the last 5 years or so on how people treat gay and lesbian people. Commentators were surprised with the events last night at the Republican National Convention along these lines. There are changes - at least in language.

MARY MAGDALENE

In fact seeing how people reacted to gay people in the past, we can get an inkling into what people felt when Jesus interacted with women.

Men did not talk to women in public. There were different sections for the men in the synagogue. 

I don’t know if we catch this when we read the scriptures - because we sit together - at least in the body of the church.

So there was Mary Magdalene and other women hobnobbing with Jesus.

I think the position of Mary in Catholic Church and in the scriptures is a big loud comment for all of us to hear.

We know the story of Jesus saving a woman from being stoned to death.

We know the story of the woman who came into a house and cried onto Jesus feet and dried her tears on his feet with her hair. Then she  anointed his feet with oil.

And Mary Magdalene was a prostitute in one tradition. And as we heard in today’s gospel, she goes to the tomb that early Easter Morning and is key to announcing that Jesus rose from the dead. Then after Peter and John leave, Mary meets Jesus. At first she thinks he’s gardener. Then realizing he’s Jesus, she  ends up holding and hugging Jesus.

There is heavy significance in this story - and still more to be discovered.

CONCLUSION

I think this reality should be stressed when people go bananas when hearing some of St. Paul’s comments about women’s place in the community in some of his letters.

In the meanwhile,  we should look at whom we exclude - whom we try to wall in and wall out.

Let me close with Edwin Markham’s famous 4 line poem. It’s called, “Outwitted.”



OUTWITTED

He drew a circled that shut me out
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:

We drew a circle that took him in.” 


Notes: 

Mary Magdalene painting on top by Pietro Perugino - c. 1500.

No comments: