Saturday, July 23, 2016

July 23, 2016

OLD  NEWSPAPERS 


The neat - the newspaper police - you have
to toss out yesterday's papers by 7 A.M. the
next morning ….  But "Shh!" - they don’t get
them all - no matter how hard they try.
There's a Saturday, November 23, 1963 copy
of the New York Daily News in the bottom
drawer of my work bench in the basement.
And there's a razor sliced obit sitting in my
Bible - facing Psalm 23. And they don't know
it, but pages  B5-6-11-12 line the bottom
of a musty steamer trunk in our attic -
dated September 14, 1926. For the sake
of transparency - I am a hoarder and
a saver of newspapers. I hate to toss out
any newspaper - so I love it when I find
in the places and spaces of the newspaper
police - any old anything from any old
newspaper. And except for the names, the
old news is always new news for me to read.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016

No comments: