Friday, June 3, 2016

May 30, 2016


SECOND  CHANCE 

Come on now,
give me a second chance!

Allow me to repeat
what I was trying to say the first time.

I know my first chance
came out wrong and I hurt you.

I often do that
when I’m tired or I’m not thinking.

Your hurt,
your face, your turning away,
tells me better than words
that I made a mistake.

Come on now,
give me a second chance.

Okay, a third
and a fourth, a fifth,
a sixth and a seventh chance as well -
even though at times I don’t give
you a second chance.

Bummer.

I guess this me is me.

I guess this you is you.

I guess Jesus was right.

Life calls for seventy-seven times
forgiveness [1] and second chances
and sometimes second
and third chance marriages.

Oooo!

Did Jesus say that?

Am I allowed to say that?

Come on now,
give me a second chance.

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016


[1] Matthew 18: 21-22

No comments: