Tuesday, March 29, 2016

March 29, 2016

DEEP-SEATED

Deep-rooted I get, but deep-seated,
I think I get - but I still need more time
to think about that idea or image.

Deep-seated?

Deep?

Okay down deep within us. Got that.

Seat? Whoever originated this word
“deep-seated” for the first time - did
they imagine we have parliamentary
seats or chairs around an inner table,
somewhere down deep within us, where
all our voices have a say in our decisions? 

I guess I have to figure out how many
people have a vote within? Does the vote
have to be a clear 2/3 majority or more 
for a decision to become deep-seated?

Whom am I listening to? Who has a
voice?  Am I still hearing the voices
of my parents or religious leaders
or teachers or pundits or writers?
What songs, what movies moved me?

What was our family table and
living room like when I was a kid?
Did that first TV get the best seat
in the house and have the loudest
voice in the room? Uh oh? Did
anyone notice the changes in our
conversations - if that took over?
Who has given me my opinions
and my takes, my votes on money,
politics, sex, love, God, others?

And what about that inner room that
Jesus talked about in Matthew 6:6?
Am I supposed to picture two seats
or pillows there? Is that what that’s
all about - to have inner chats - in
there with Jesus - and/or Our Father?

And what about the Last Supper?

Oh my God, the Last Supper? I haven’t 
even had my First Supper with Jesus yet.  Mass? Yes, but that meal is only taking 
place in church. It hasn’t taken place
within me yet? Oops.

Oh my God that’s what Revelation
3:20 means, “Look I am standing
at the door, knocking. If one of you
hears me calling and opens the door,
I will come in and share his meal,
side by side with him.”

Oh okay, this is some deep-seated
stuff - some starting ideas about what
deep-seated might be getting at.
How close am I to the original intent?




© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016

No comments: