Monday, February 22, 2016

THE  CHAIR  OF  ST.  PETER



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “The Chair of St. Peter.”

Today we celebrate the Popes - those who filled the Chair of St. Peter.

Every year when we come to this feast I wonder what to preach about - I see the priest’s chair over there. Notice the arms.  Notice the cushy seat.

I’ve preached about important chairs at dining room tables - or meetings - and sometimes asked, “Who sits where on a round table?”

MANY POPES SO FAR

266 people sat in that imaginary chair.

Pius IX sat in it the longest - 31 years;  Next came John Paul II who was pope for 26 years. Add some months to each of those.

Urban VII resigned after 13 days and John Paul I lasted 33 days.

Saints and sinners sat in that chair.  I haven’t seen any of the TV series on the  Borgias - but we know that 3 Borgias were popes. And Rodrigo  Borgia, Pope Alexander VI, is listed as one of our badies. And we know that 4 popes were Medici - two of which:  Leo X and Clement VII are in list of the Top 10 worst popes.

I’ve heard variations of the story about Napoleon claiming that he would destroy the church and the papacy and Cardinal Consalvi said, “Best of luck, the popes and the priests couldn’t do it.”

And I remember hearing in a sermon about the old little old lady from Jersey City who said that the 5 marks of the church are: one, holy, Catholic, apostolic and it survives its clergy.

WE’VE BEEN BLESSED

In our lifetime, we have certainly been blessed with a line of good popes - different - but good popes.

I’ve see Pius XII, John the 23, Paul VI, JP 1 and 2, Benedict and now Francis. Did I miss anyone?

If we sit back and look at those who have sat in the Chair of Peter, we can see differences. So too Pastors. So too priests. So to presidents, governors, mayors, bosses, neighbors.

As Catholics we’re blessed to have someone in the top seat.

We pray that they give good example and good wisdom.

I have lived here at St. Mary’s Annapolis with 3 pastors now, Father Sweeney, Father Kingsbury and now Father Tizio. All are different - all have their off on’s - all have their strengths and weaknesses. So too bishops. So too bosses and presidents of our organizations.

I would assume we all get that.

I would hope that all of us when we are the chair of an organization - learn from Peter and from Jesus and good popes - that we’re in it for service and as good Shepherds of the flock.

I would assume we become aware of our weaknesses - or where we need others with other skills to work with.

This present pope is off on his themes and values: mercy, forgiveness, and understanding. Don’t judge. Smell like the shepherd - in other words get off the dais and the podium  and get out of your seat and be with the sheep. Sweat. Work. Give.

CONCLUSION

In the meanwhile, I am happy as Catholics we have a head - a pope.



Wouldn’t it be great if the Muslims and other religious groups had a “pope” - a “papa”, a head guy or gal. I would hope that then things would work easier and better because we could meet and talk, chair to chair, eye ball to eye ball. Amen.

No comments: