Sunday, February 21, 2016

February 21, 2016

QUIRKS

Ask a friend, someone you trust,
if they see any quirks in you.

What?

Yeah, ask someone - someone you trust -
if they see any interesting quirks in you?

Why would anyone ever want to do that?

Well, maybe it might open up a few doors
or windows to what’s going on in you.

As to asking yourself about your own quirks,
I’m not so sure about that. Quirks are all
about traits, peculiarities, others see in us.

Like tap, tap, tap with our teeth when nervous.

Like pulling an ear lobe when so and so speaks.

Like yawning every other time when I speak.

Like going "hummm?" when turning door knobs.

Like adjusting the rear view mirror every time
your beloved is about to start the car. Every time.

Quirks?  Some are funny. Some obnoxious.
Some unique. Some strange - very strange.

Quirks? Be kind to me. This is the real me inside
me; sometimes I get nervous about what’s next.
    

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2016

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

Quirks ?? My granddaughters say I have " nannie - isms"
Things I say and do which I really am not aware of !
And they bring them to my attention when they are all together .

( maybe a rehearsal for my eulogy ?! ) :o)