Monday, February 1, 2016


BEING   YELLED   AT

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 4th Monday in Ordinary Time is, “Being Yelled At!”

TODAY’S READINGS

In today’s two readings, we have scenes where people are yelled at.

So let me say a little bit about being yelled at - but I’m not sure just what to do or say about all this.

In today’s first reading from 2nd Samuel a man named Shimei throws stones and words at David. And David’s officers and soldiers want to know if they can go over and lop off his head.

David  says “No, if my own son is trying to kill me, let his guy alone and let him curse me.”

And the reading tells us, “David and his men continued on the road…. while Shimei … all the while was cursing and throwing stones at David.”

In today’s gospel a strange ranger from the tombs yells out at Jesus, “What have you do to with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High. I adjure you by God, do not torment me.”

The guy is filled with demons - a legion of demons. In the Roman army a Legion was 5000 soldiers.

And Jesus send this legion of demons into herds of pigs - swine - it says 2000 - and they ran down the hill  and into the sea of Galilee.

I remember standing in a boat on the Lake of Galilee - seeing what I was seeing - and I saw a cliff and thought of this scene - and then a beach - and wondered where this took place.

BEING YELLED AT

The title of my homily is, “Being Yelled At!”

I was trying to remember any time I was yelled at.

A guy in Bermuda started cursing and making obscene gestures at me for being white. I assumed that because of what he was yelling. I was with a cruise group visiting a local port. I quickly ran back to where the gang I was with were.

In Mansfield, Ohio I added “and women” to the reading of the scriptures and some guy yelled out from the benches, “It says just men.” I was trying to be P.C.

And on the Lower East Side we used to say Mass at the convent above the school on East 4th Street. We’d go out the  back gate of East 3rd Street rectory and walk down the street to the school, ring the bell, and a nun would hear the bell and take the elevator down to the 1st floor - walk to the front door and let us in. Well a few times in the summer some guys across the street from the school would be sleeping on the fire escape landing - and yell out at 6:25 in the morning - at the priest was standing there, “Hey we know where you’re going and we know what you’re doing.”  The elevator couldn’t come quick enough.

Those are the only 3 moments I could come up with from my life today thinking about all this

What about you? Were you ever yelled at and how did you react and what did you learn from the moment.

RESPONSE

From today’s readings I think the learnings could be.

Be calm, as David was. That was his reaction. Don’t cut off heads. There are worse things others could attack me for. And then move on.

Next, what would be a learning from Jesus and the pigs?  Maybe it could be this: “When yelled at, be an instrument of the Lord’s peace.”

In today’s gospel Jesus sends the demons into the pigs - and they run down the hill and are drowned. Wouldn’t it be great if the echoes of anger people yell at us during a life time - if they could just run away - and stampede into the ocean of nothing.

CONCLUSION

As I said in the beginning, I’m really not that sure just what to do about being yelled at.

Maybe twist the yell of the demon plagued guy in today’s gospel and say, “Jesus do something to help me with all this. Thanks.”


We can’t send demons into  pigs or dogs or cats, but we can send peace to the other person.


No comments: