Monday, November 16, 2015

GOSPEL  PRAYERS …. 
SOME  GREAT  ONE  LINERS

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 33 Monday in Ordinary Time is, “Gospel Prayers ….  Some Great One Liners.”

People often ask us priests, the same question one of Jesus’ disciples asked him  in Luke 11:1: “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

In Luke 11 Jesus teaches the Our Father in answer to that request.  In this homily I would make the answer even shorter. Want to learn how to pray, pray the great one liner prayers in the Gospels.

For example, “Lord, teach me how to pray.”

IN TODAY’S GOSPEL, THERE ARE TWO ONE LINERS

In today’s gospel there are two one liner prayers.

The first is, “Jesus, Son of David, have pity on me.”  That prayer is given two times. In the second instance, it’s simply, “Have pity on me.”

The second prayer is the cry of the blind man when Jesus asks him, “What do you want me to do for you?”

His answer is the second great one liner prayer, “Lord, please let me see.”

LOTS MORE

Get a yellow high lighter or light green or orange and underline in your bible any one liner prayer that hits you.

There are many. Here are a few more:

“Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”

“Father forgive him, because he does not know what he is doing.”

“Lord, help me.”

“Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.”

“My God, my God, why have you deserted me?”

“Don’t be afraid.”

“Don’t fear.”

“Quiet now! Be calm.”

“Peace be with you.”

“Stop arguing.”

“Stay awake.”

 CONCLUSION

There are hundreds of these one liners in the gospels.

I like to suggest using one’s rosary as worry beads. The Hail Mary - and the Glory Be and the Our Father are key prayers - but why not also use our rosary beads as ways to run through great prayer one liners.

It’s as simple as that.



No comments: