Sunday, October 18, 2015

POWER


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily and thoughts for this 29th  Sunday in Ordinary Time [B] is: “Power.”

James and John, the sons of Zebedee, want power.

Question: are they everyone?  Is that you? Is that me? Do I want power?

Answer: “Well, ah, ah, ah, yes, of course! But it all depends about what?”

BUREAU   OF  INDIAN  AFFAIRS

There was a time there that I was interested in studying about American Indians. Today they are called, Native Americans or the First Nation People or we name them by tribes, Mohawk, Sioux, Algonquin, Coyote people, etc., etc., etc.

I’m in Washington D.C. and I decide to go down to the Bureau of Indian Affairs. I go up to the front desk and ask a woman there, “I’m doing some studies about American Indians, is there anybody I can talk to with some of my questions.”

It must have been a slow day because she gets on  the phone - says a few things - and then hands me a piece of paper with what room to go to and what person to see.

The guy was the top guy or next to the top guy and he brings me into his inner office and I start asking questions about Native American rituals, symbols,  dances, religions, etc.,  etc., etc.

I was asking him the why of what I was reading - the “What’s going on?” with these folks.

And he says to me, “Power! It’s all about power. People want power over nature, over life, over what’s happening.”  “Men want power over other men.” “Men want power over women.” “Hunters want power over animals.”

The guy was an anthropologist - had an American Indian background and lineage - and had lived and served and worked in South Dakota on a reservation.  Since I was a priest he said the Jesuits did fabulous work. He said, “Too bad they got bounced out of some places where they were working.”

I walked out wondering about power.

Is that the main issue in life - in the church - in a parish - in a family?

Is the main prayer in life, “My will be done on earth as it is in heaven”?

JAMES AND JOHN AGAIN

In today’s gospel they ask Jesus directly, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you?”

How’s that for a major life question?

Hey, other person, “Do what I want you to do.” “Be the way I want you to be.”

Jesus replies, “What do you wish me to do for you?”

They reply, “Grant that in your glory we may sit one at your right and the other at your left.”

Interesting request!

This is the gospel of Mark - written earlier than Matthew. In Matthew 20: 20 it’s the  mother of James and John who comes up to Jesus and makes that request. Did James and John slip Matthew a silver coin to blame their mother for their embarrassing question - especially when Jesus gives his answer - that it’s all about service, serving and not being served?

IS THIS THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OR THE CLERGY?

Is this the history of the Church or the clergy - this desire for top seats and top billing?

Is this the history of the world - the desire to Lord it over others?

Is this where comedians laugh and celebrate, because here is the spot for lots of humor.

“You want it when?”

Be careful of slipping on that banana skin.

I love the story a bishop from Brazil told us.  There was this really pompous bishop - in charge of everything - so at a major bishop’s meeting they put a whoopee cushion under his cushion and all  waited till he sat. He didn’t laugh.

I used to love reading a Catholic magazine called, Critic, because it had great cartoons about churchy stuff. I hope the priests and bishops were able to laugh at themselves in the cartoons - with pot bellies and bishops with big pointed hats.

I’ve always thought that political cartoons in the papers was a very important part of Freedom of the Press. The Church certainly needs cartoons as well.

If you’ve been listening to the stuff about Pope Francis. He’s basically saying to bishops and priests, it’s about service guys. It’s all about service not selfies. It’s not about titles and garb and great seats.

In his recent visit to the United States, being in the Fiat flanked by big SUV’s was not by accident. I’m sure the cartoonists loved the material Pope Francis’ mannerisms and style. It’s easy to draw the  pope mobile.

It’s about service - so enough with the robes and the glitter and the glamor.

And this pope - like any pope - has to be ever aware of Lord Acton’s quote, “All power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

I’ve noticed he calls himself the Bishop of Rome - not supreme pontiff - and this does not go unnoticed by the Greek Orthodox Church - as well as the Russian Orthodox church - and maybe the Anglicans as well.

Vatican II moved us away from the pyramid model - a top down management style - to a circle model - that is a round table approach. I’ve been hearing church commentators saying in the last 40 years there was movement back to the top down pyramid model.

I’m hearing that Pope Francis is pushing for decentralization once again. Right now I’m reading his encyclical on the environment and ecology and I’m  noticing him saying, ”The bishops of Mexico or Japan or the United States or Germany or Paraguay say ….” We have the synod of the family going on in Rome right now - and we’ll see what that brings. It has some new voices - different voices - and different powers that be.

I remember hearing a story about Cardinal Cook of New York. He was at a big banquet and some lady had him button hooked and the monsignori who were to sit at the head table with him were quite frustrated - because they didn’t know where to sit on a round table - when the top guy hasn’t sat down yet. He finally sat down and the boys quickly jumped into their proper seats.

WHO CARES?

I sense Jesus would say, “Laugh. Smile. Sit down and enjoy the chicken.”

Better grab the waiters and waitresses and you feed them - or at least see them as the key folks in the room. Wash their feet. Know their names. Ask about their moms.

I love a story I heard Benedict Groeschel telling us in a course he was giving that I was taking. Benedict died a while back - he could be quite conservative - especially in his later years - but he was real and real funny - and could poke good fun at everyone.

He was doing some work at a mental hospital - and he was sitting at a round table with some of the psychologists and psychiatrists in the place. Benedict asked them, “I’m sure you know who’s the most important person here in this psychiatric hospital?”

Silence.

And Benedict points to this black woman behind the counter serving food to all on her line and laughing and commenting to everyone. Benedict then said he said, “Come on now, you all go to her for suggestions and advice, to vent and to complain.”

And all were silent.

CONCLUSION

In the meanwhile we use our tricks to prove to the world, “We’re great.” 

But underneath we feel our weaknesses - our lack of control - over each other and the weather and conversations and being understood. Hey we heard in today's second reading Jesus can sympathize with our weaknesses in all things but sin. [Cf. Hebrews 4:14-16]

Laugh at every time another cuts us off in the middle of a story we’re telling because we triggered a similiar story in them. Or we’re cut off by a dog entering the scene or someone just ups and leaves us because they have to go to the bathroom and we never seem to be able to finish our stories.



Enjoy having to work with each other as we get sweaty in the arm pits or have spinach or that gunky white stuff stuck in our teeth.

No comments: