Friday, October 9, 2015

October 9, 2015



CREDO
SONG FOR MYSELF

I believe every one has a creed -
like the creed we say at Sunday Mass.
However, I believe very few have 
spelled their beliefs out. They're
like thoughts and songs just 
blowing in the wind - scraping 
on the window of our minds. 
I got this thought when I heard 
Harry Chapin sing, "Song for Myself." 
It's one of his creeds. He had many.

Just listen to that song: "Song for

Myself." It's a very simple creed: 
The answer that is blowing in the 
wind - can't just be, "Let it be." 
No way. Harry Chapin's creed in this
song is, "I have to have a little more 
love if I want good times ahead. I have 
to be good to myself and I better 
be a little bit good to my friends."

Creeds like this and creeds from church - are succinct. They can be powerful - 
but they are just dead leaves blowing in the wind or empty songs we're really
not hearing till we live them out -
moving out or our heart into our eyes,
our words our actions like being good 
to myself - and being a little bit 
better with being good to my friends.


 © Andy Costello, Reflections 2015

1 comment:

Mary Joan said...

Oh, thank you !

I had not heard that Harry Chapin song before .

He had such great thoughts . He is one of my all time favorites .

A wonderful message …to be good to yourself and be good to others .