Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23, 2015


CATHEDRAL HOPPING

At Chartres Cathedral I met a gal
who was Cathedral hopping. She
smiled as she said, “Well I used to
be bar hopping - but I’m enjoying
this a lot more. “So far,” she said,
“here in France I’ve done some
of the great Gothic Cathedrals:
Notre Dame in Paris, as well as
the cathedrals in Nantes, Tours,
Amiens, Bourges, and Rheims.
Today and tomorrow: it’s Chartres.
Last summer I was in England
and saw the Gothic Cathedrals
in Lincoln, Salisbury, Ely, and there
was one other. Can’t remember it
now. It’s in my notes here.
And I have the rest of the world
for the future - especially Germany.”
I stood there amazed wondering
about her note pads and her
drawings. Wow - stand at bars
and you’ll meet people. Stand
in the back of cathedrals and
surprise I met someone who
was interested in something I
never would have expected:
Gothic cathedrals reaching
towards God - reaching towards
the infinite - bringing folks
into the cathedral within.


© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2015

No comments: