Tuesday, May 5, 2015



HERMES  AND PAUL

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 5th Monday in the Easter Season is, Hermes and Paul.

GODS AND GODDESSES

Whenever you hear mention of Greek Gods and Goddesses do you say, “I wish I knew more about Greek Mythology.”

I’ve heard in talks about Zeus and Hermes, Venus and Apollo, Atlas and Chaos, Chronos and Dionysius, etc. and etc. and I said to myself, “Someday I have to look up and memorize the names of all these Gods and Goddesses.

TODAY’S FIRST READING FROM ACTS

I said that again this morning as I noticed in today’s first reading from the Acts of the Apostles - Chapter 14: 5-18 - that Paul and Barnabas are called Hermes and Zeus.

Zeus is the head god and one of his sons was Hermes.

Hermes was the god of speaking and speed - amongst other things.

It’s sort of like different saints are patron saints of different things.

It’s sort of like God being given different attributes like mercy and forgiveness.

The title of my homily is Hermes and Paul.

Paul worked and moved fast.  Paul was great speaker.  So having these 2 qualities, Paul was thought to be Hermes.

HOMILY THOUGHTS

Homily thoughts - thinking of the ancient gods and goddesses….

Which ancient God would I like to be associated with?

I’ve seen exercises like, “If I were a dog or a tree or animal, which one would I be like?”

Answers to that - would tell me about myself.  I wish I could bend like a willow.  I wish I had the strength of an oak. I wish people could find gifts at my feet like a Christmas tree. If I were an apple tree, I would hope I would be giving delicious apples to pickers.

For another homily thought, run through the letters of Paul and pick out the one text that grabs us and then run with it?

For another homily thought, what nickname would I give Paul or Saul?

CONCLUSION

Then there’s Barnabas….

Sticking with Paul may we all be like Paul quickly bringing Jesus to our world.


NOTES:

Statue of Hermes on top

No comments: