Tuesday, April 14, 2015

April 14,  2015


APPROACHING CERTAIN PEOPLE

Approaching another, getting closer.
I’m almost there - near - at the edge of you.
Yet I’m still not sure  - if what I say -
will be taken wrong - so to be honest,
to be VERY  honest, I’m wondering -
just how - exactly how you are going to react,
so I back, back, back away from you. Sorry.

Approaching another - almost there-
Yet you seem scary at times. Yet I know
you’re neither an alligator nor a Rottweiler.

Approaching another …. Yet  - yet -
yes another yet and then another yet.  
I’m still not sure whether you want me 
to approach or avoid you or what?

Approaching another…. You seem different.
I’ll say to myself, “I’ll wait for another day,
but  this has been going on for years.”
So I approach you - like I approach
a rose bush - watching out for the  thorns -
wearing work gloves - being cautious.

Approaching another…. I stop suddenly
and approach another at the coffee break
and then I head back to my desk -
okay,  sometimes I stop to ask
about a balloon tied to a chair -
what’s that all about and then again
sometimes I don’t - lest it take time so
I tend to  back off or back down - almost….
It seems I need more work on my approach.




© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2014

No comments: