Tuesday, November 18, 2014

ZACH



He felt small, so so small, so why would God want to have anything to do with little old Zach.

Yes that’s how he felt at  times when he thought of God – and that wasn’t too often – only when he felt "agita" or anxiety in his chest – near his heart -  or his wife or kids weren’t feeling that well.

So he spent so much of his life trying to feel big, important, rich, and he succeeded. He succeeded in everyone’s eyes but his own.

But – as everyone also knows – success breeds in others who spot or spy on us - jealousy – envy - and sometimes some strains of nastiness.

In other words – with his classy house – classy clothes – classy title of “chief” – at times came comments – crude comments – dirty digs – each of which implied  – that underneath the rings and things – was simply: a small – sneaky self-centered little man – who really didn’t care much about anyone but himself.

It was those kinds of comments that pushed him further and further from God and closer and closer to the edges of loneliness and hurt.

He heard those words from others. Sometimes they were like acid – like acid thrown in a famous person’s face. Did he feel he had to retaliate? No, but he did admit at times to himself, that he too had some of that same ugly stuff we really don’t want to admit is possible to have there in a bottom drawer in a desk we have in our hearts – these thoughts and feelings about others that we are a prone to have at times – especially if they are ugly towards us.

Sad to say, nobody  likes the person – who has it all. People assume everything comes so easy to them.

Let’s be honest – under a rock there in a swampy or damp part in our brain, we have those feelings we don’t like to feel about another We felt these thoughts when we were kids in the playground or classroom. It wasn’t anger – but it was something like that. It was that  feeling we have that has an “eh” sound in it. We make that sound when we think of others who were straight A students – or had a great musical ear – or could sing or play the piano and the harmonica – as well as be the star athlete – in school – and they never really had to practice.

Enough of that – we know that reality.

Well, Jesus comes along – and everyone is all ears – all eyes – all buzz  - all excitement – at his arrival in our town.

Without anyone noticing him,  Zach  climbs a tree to get a better view of Jesus – who was coming up the street.

He knew his past feelings in crowds – being so small that he couldn’t see.

Zach had heard only good news about Jesus – how he was saying wonderful things about God our Father – how we should  be reaching out to all kinds of people – sinners and strangers.

“Maybe me – maybe me – maybe he will reach out to me.”

Then he heard his familiar response, “Not me – not me – this Jesus would never reach out to me.”

Surprise! Jesus spots him up a tree - out on a limb.

Surprise! To the surprise of all Jesus  stops to talk to him.

“Whoever you are, come down. Come down from that tree.”

Zach comes down from the tree.

Zach sheepishly walks over  to Jesus.

And Jesus says, “How about inviting me to your house for lunch today?”

Zach says, “Great! Come follow me.”

It’s then that comments started erupting and surfacing from the crowd.

“Doesn’t this Jesus know who this guy is?”

“Doesn’t Jesus know he’s a sinner -  a tax collector – taxing us to death?”

“Jesus is like all the rest – hobnobbing with the rich – and not us the poor.”

Zach hears  all these comments.

Zach speaks up then and there and says, “Talk about stewardship. Lord I’m going to give half of my possessions to the poor – and if I’ve twisted and extorted anything from any one of these people here I’ll repay them 4 times over.”

Jesus says – with a great smile, “Did all of you hear that? Today salvation has come to Zach. He too is a descendant of Abraham. Didn’t you know I have come to seek and find lost sheep of the house of Israel. Now let’s eat.”



“And by the way, I love lamb!”

O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O

[This was a homily story I wrote last night for this 33 Tuesday in ordinary time. The gospel is the wonderful story of Zacchaeus of Jericho - a short guy - who climbs a tree to see Jesus. [Cf. Luke 19:1-10]  I began by re-reading the ending of today's first reading from the Book of Revelation 3:1-6, 14-22. I wonder if those who put together these two readings were aware that they were putting together two great texts. Here's the text I read: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter his house and dine with them, and they with me. I will give the victor the right to sit with me on my throne, as I myself first won the victory and sit with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears out to hear what the Spirit says to the churches." [Revelation 3:20-22]

OOOOOOOOOO

Painting on top: Zacchaeus in the Sycamore  Awaiting the Passage of Jesus, Brooklyn  Museum, James Tissot - between 1886-1894

No comments: