Monday, August 11, 2014


REGRETS

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of St. Clare is, “Regrets.”

What are your thoughts about regrets?

The gist of my homily would be this. I was tempted to make it my title – but it’s much too long:  “Regrets: Forget About Them – But If You Can’t Forget Them, Then Learn To Accept Them.”

Easier – said than done.

THE FEAST OF ST. CLARE

Today – August 11th – is the Feast of St. Clare.

Ever since May of 1984 I associate St. Clare with regrets.

Let me explain ….


 I was in Assisi, Italy for one day. I took the train from Rome. After arriving at the train station  I walked up to the gigantic church – the big basilica of St. Francis.

My plan was to walk to the Basilica of St. Clare (Chiara) after seeing and being in the Basilica of St. Francis (Francessca do Assisa.

While at the big basilica for Francis  – I went down to the lower level to get to the crypgt of Francis – and surprise I run into a Mass down there – for a German youth group.

I stayed. It went well over an hour – even though I couldn’t understand a word of German – ooops I also took time to look at all the paintings by Giotta.

After that German Mass I headed out of the upstairs church and then over to the town and up the street to the Basilica of St. Clare.

It was locked. It was siesta time. However, one could see inside the church through the bars of the gate that locked the church.

I stood there – looking in - disappointed. I stood there regretting that  I didn’t get into where Clare’s body or grave was.

I still feel that mistake or choice. I still regret missing out in not visiting Clare’s grave.


 So that’s why I associate the feast of St. Clare with the theme of regrets.

Ugh.

Well, maybe someday I’ll get back there.

REGRETS



Everyone  has them – at least one.

Everyone is hit with original sin – is there something we might call, “One’s Original Regret.”

If you have some time, some space, some quiet, sit and pray and come up with 10 regrets.  Then put them in order of feeling – One being the strongest regret.

To prime the pump….

If you’re married or were married - any regrets?

Children? Any regrets?

The gift of speech? Any regrets.

The use of time: any regrets?

Those who have died: any regrets?

Those who are living: any regrets?

Regrets can be dumb things we did or didn’t do. They could be forgets. They could be sins. They could be missed opportunities.

So what are your regrets?

It’s a good question – because trying to answer questions can force us to face our lives.

FUNERAL THIS MORNING

At the 10:30 wedding this morning the wife of the man who died in his sleep said, “Good thing we talked to each other that last night because he never woke up. That was one thing I was very grateful for.

That triggers the need to look at blessings – besides the regrets of life.

FORGIVENESS

If we have regrets towards another, if we can express the sorrow we feel, great. At other times, sometimes it’s better to let sleeping dogs lie.

If another is dead, we can talk to the other in prayer.

PHILOSOPHICAL

If we can’t shake a regret, we can become philosophical.

To be human, is to have regrets.

Regrets and angst are part of life.

Regrets are part pf the package, called life.

My dad was very quiet, He did a lot of walking, but very little talking. I have fond memories of going with him  to watch sandlot football games as a kid – but we never talked enough.

In time, I have learned to accept he was a great father – but also a quiet father – definitely – an introvert with a great smile – and now years later – long after his death in 1970 - I’ve wondered what was he thinking – what was he talk

CONCLUSION


So I regret not getting into St. Clare’s Basilica there in Assisi – but I’ll take what I got so far – and if I get a break – I hope to get to the Grave of St. Clare. Amen.

No comments: