Monday, May 19, 2014

ZEUS  AND  HERMES

INTRODUCTION

The title of my short homily for this 5th Monday after Easter  is, “Zeus and Hermes.”

Paul and Barnabas in today’s first reading from The Acts of the Apostles are called Zeus and Hermes by the people of the townof Lystra.  [Cf. Acts 14:5-18]

Paul  – along with Barnabas – had called on God - for the healing of a crippled man – who is lame from birth. Paul seeing that the man had the faith to be healed calls out in a loud voice, “Stand up straight on your feet!” Surprise! The man jumps up and starts to walk about.

The crowds seeing what Paul just did cried out, “The gods have come down to us in human form.” It’s then that they call Barnabas “Zeus” and Paul “Hermes”.

GREEK AND ROMAN MYTHOLOGY

I don’t know about you, but down through the years – whenever I run into names of the Greek gods – as well as the Roman gods – I say to myself, “I have to take the time to study up on all this.”

I’ve tried several times. I never seem to get it. 

And I’ve often been impressed by those who know all about the names of the Greek gods – and their Roman – counterparts – and who is god of this and who is god of that.

It’s like those who know all the names of the characters in The Chronicles of Narnia or The Hobbit series. For them, it's as if the characters lived next door.

This morning, once more, I looked up who these gods were and what they stood for.

Zeus is the top god – the god who presides over all these other gods. When sculpted he’s a statue of a male - standing there as a father – with thunderbolt in hand.  He’s described as father – the head god – the one who presides over various other gods. He’s described as an eagle, or a bull or an oak. He’s described as the daytime god.



Hermes is described as one of the children of Zeus – and he had many. He is described as a messenger – who brings messages – from here to there and back. In Roman mythology he’s called Mercury – with wings on his feet. You’ve seen that in fast messenger – as well as fast flowers – services.  At times he’s described as the trickster – the cunning one. He moves between two words: human and divine. One descriptions that he’s the god of transitions and boundaries. I like that one.

I know him better than the other gods – because he’s the god of public speaking – and that’s how the folks of Lystra and elsewhere saw Paul.

CHRISTIANITY

Christianity all but put an end to this whole system of gods and goddesses.

I have to do my homework – and that means more reading – about all this.

At times I wonder if there is a human tendency to want gods – or powers above our powers, abilities, and weaknesses. If there is, what happened with Christianity taking over. I wonder at times  if it was replaced by saints being named patron saints of this and that.

I know Protestants at times think we made Mary a Goddess.

I don’t know.

I do like it that I was blessed being born into Christianity – with Jesus as our God – and he introduces us into how the Father is – and if you see Jesus – you see the Father.

CONCLUSION

In other words I’m lame and crippled when it comes to this whole pantheon of gods – in both Greek, Roman, as well as Hindu religions and mythologies.


However, in other words,  I like it that Paul said just what Jesus said to the crippled man. Stand up and walk. Amen.

No comments: