Monday, May 19, 2014

YEARNING

Poem for Today - May 19, 2014

THE ANALYSIS 
OF YEARNING (Garod)

I know the dark need, the yearning, that want,
in the same way the blind man knows
the inside of his old home.

I don’t see my own movements
and the objects hide.
But without error or stumbling
I maneuver among them,
live among them,
move like the self-winding clock
which even after losing its hands
keeps ticking and turning
but shows neither minute nor hour.

And dangling between darkness and loneliness
I want to analyze this want
like a chemist
to understand its nature and profound mystery.
And as I try
there is laughter
from some mysterious tunnel,
laughter from an indescribable distance,
from an unhearable distance.

A city sparrow with a liquid song
changes its ungreen life
Into music from an unechoing distance,
an unhuntable distance.

And words start hurting me
as they mock, echo from the unhuntable distance,
the merciless distance.

I walk from wall to wall
and the sound of my steps
seems to come from far away
from that merciless distance,
that impossible distance.

I am not blind
but I see nothing
around me, because
vision has detached itself
and reached that distance
that is impossibly far,
excessively far.

I run after myself
incapable of ever reaching or
catching what I seek.

And this is what is called
Want and longing or “garod.”


© Barouyr Sevag,
from Colorado Review.  
Translated from the Armenian, 
© 1978  by Diana Der-Hovanessian.
Found in Language for a New Century,
Edited by Tina Chang, Nathalie Handal
and Ravi Shankar, pages 110-112

No comments: