Tuesday, February 18, 2014

THE  I  DON’T  GET IT  PRAYER 


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 6th Tuesday in Ordinary Time is, “The I Don’t Get It Prayer.”

Sometimes it takes courage to say to God or to others - but especially for starters to ourselves: “I don’t get it.”

And I think it’s a good prayer: “I don’t get it God. I just don’t get it.”

Hey, sometimes it takes courage to say, “I don’t get it.” when we’re  in a group and everyone is laughing at a joke that someone just told - but we don’t get it.

We don’t want to look or sound stupid in a group or in a relationship, but to say, “I don’t get it” contains the message: “I would like to get it. I want to know what you’re saying or doing.”

I think it’s a compliment when someone says to me after Mass, “Your homily…. I didn’t get it.”  It tells me that I’m not a growler - or someone to be feared. I get that. And it’s a challenge to try to be clearer.

TODAY’S GOSPEL

Today’s gospel - Mark 8: 14-21 - ends with Jesus asking a question to his disciples in the boat, “Do you still not understand?”

They don’t get it.

Sometimes it takes time to get it.

Sometimes it takes a life time to get it.

Sometimes it takes the cross to get it.

Sometimes it takes a lot of living to understand life - to get it.

Sometimes it takes a life time of receiving communion to get the bread - the giving of his body and blood to us - and we in turn to give our body and blood to each other - when we are in holy communion - or trying to be - with each other.

Jesus’ disciples had seen Jesus feed the 5000 as well as the 4000 - but here they are worried about their stomachs and food - because they only have 1 loaf with them on the boat.

They don’t get it. They don’t get who’s in the boat with them - Jesus the bread giver and the bread winner.

For starters Jesus is saying, “I don’t get it - that you don’t get it.”

Well, I get it that.  I’ve noticed it’s not understanding is an ongoing theme we often hear about as we listen to the gospels. 

Mark is getting at that message here - but the Gospel of John is THE  gospel that really brings out what Isaiah said, what the prophets said, and what Jesus says in today’s gospel: “People have ears that don’t hear, eyes that don’t see, and hearts that are not open for new life.”

We’re slow learners.

So the prayer: “The I don’t get it prayer.”

FIRST READING - FROM JAMES

Today’s first reading from James 1: 12-18 talks about how stupid we can become. We just don’t get it.  We set ourselves up for problems by walking right into temptations. At some point we need to get it - those moments that are set ups for anger or gossip or what have you. We dance with the devil and set ourselves up for trouble.  

Then when we get overwhelmed with problems and sins, we become stupid again and again and we then ask, “How come I keep falling into sin?”  Or “How come God places temptations in front of me.”

We’re saying, “I don’t get it God - how life works.”

And if it’s a prayer, we might hear God say in return: “Hey - you gotta do some work!”

CONCLUSION

Mark in his gospel story today might be saying: “Life is like a boat ride across the waters - and Jesus is in the boat. You’re not alone. Get it? Don’t forget to get with him.”

In this homily I’m saying: “When we say, ‘I don’t get it to God or to others - but especially to ourselves, that’s a good time for “The I don’t Get It Prayer.”




No comments: