Sunday, February 16, 2014

FIRST CONFESSION 
AND COMMUNION 


Poem for Today - February 16, 2014




FIRST CONFESSION

Blood thudded in my ears. I scuffed,
          Steps stubborn, to the tell tale booth
Beyond whose curtained portal coughed
          The robed repositor of truth.

The slat shot back. The universe
          Bowed down his cratered dome to hear
Enumerated my each curse,
          The sip snitched from my old man’s beer,

My sloth pride envy lechery,
          The dime held hack from Peter’s Pence
With which I’d bribed my girl to pee
          That I might spy her instruments.

Hovering scale-pans when I’d done
          Settled their balance slow as silt
While in the restless dark I burned
          Bright as a brimstone in my guilt

Until as one feeds birds he doled
          Seven Our Fathers and a Hail
Which I to double-scrub my soul
          Intoned twice at the altar rail

Where Sunday in seraphic light
          I knelt, as full of grace as most,
And  stuck my tongue out at the priest:
          A fresh roost for the Holy Ghost.


- X. J. Kennedy
(Doubleday & Company, Inc. 
for “First Confession,” 
© 1951 by X. J. Kennedy -- 
found on page 159 
in New Coasts & Strange Harbors
discovering Poems, 
selected by Helen Hill 
and Agnes Perkins, 
Thomas Y. Crowell Company, NY, 1974)
Photograph by Georges Jansoon, 
September 16, 2006,
Confessional Boxes in 
Cathedral of Santiago
de Compastela, Spain


No comments: