Monday, April 15, 2013

PERCEPTION AND REALITY



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Monday in the Third Week after Easter is, “Perception and Reality.”

At times I want to do a little more thinking on the question of “Perception and Reality” - but it’s my perception of myself that I don’t seem to be doing it.

When I read today’s readings that’s the theme that hit me - so I said to myself,  here’s a chance to do a tiny bit more homework on this question.

TODAY’S READINGS

Today’s first reading from the Acts of the Apostles [Acts 6:8-15] features Stephen. Some perceive him as a trouble maker - others see his face - as today’s first reading ends - as that of the face of an angel.  He was loved and he was hated.

The reality is: he’s Stephen - one of the early followers of Christ - the first to die as an adult for his faith.

Today’s gospel - John 6:22-29 - has this theme of perception and reality in bold form. Jesus tells the crowd that they are after him because of the food he’s providing - and not because of who he was: the Son of Man - who has the seal of God the Father’s approval on him.

The gospel of John - as I perceive it - features this issue of perception and reality over and over again. People are constantly not getting it. People are constantly missing the points that Jesus makes.

They are catching perceptions - but Jesus is after reality.

PERCEPTION AND REALITY

So the title of my homily is, “Perception and Reality”.

I have found myself saying inwardly to the leaders of our church: “You don’t get it. You don’t get it. You don’t get it. Perception is reality.”

In the child and teenage abuse cases - the perception of so many people is that you have not done your job. The perception is that you have hidden lots of stuff. The perception is that you don’t care about the children - only yourselves.

Then the leaders and/or their spokespersons say, “That’s not fair. We have done this, this and this. That’s the reality.”

And I say inwardly, “It doesn’t make any difference what the reality is - because the perception is that you blew it.”

I have found myself saying inwardly many times: “Perception is reality.”

As I thought about all this for this homily today, I found myself thinking: “It would be better to say, ‘Perception is reality - even when it’s not reality.’”

Upon further thinking it hit me that obviously the best thing to do is to work on realities and then see if they change people’s perceptions. In other words, perceptions are out of the bishop’s hands. Realities can be change.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?

My perception on hearing all this would be to say, “What are you talking about?” It seems that you’re all babble. You’re all jargon. Hurry up. I got things to get to after Mass and my perception is that you’re just up there talking away. You’re getting off stuff that  I’m not getting or I’m elsewhere or you’re not clear.”

So here’s an attempt at clarity….

Take as an example a priest who comes from a rich family. His parents give him an $100,000 Mercedes.  I would think he would be wise to drive a Chevy Malibu - or a cheaper car - because the perception is that Jesus would not drive a Mercedes - but a donkey. And some might wonder where the money is coming from …. or you shouldn’t be a priest and travel in this style.


Bishops wear these expensive or “odd” outfits. The perception is that they are in this for the glory.  The reality is that Jesus died on the cross with nothing or with nothing but a loin cloth on.



The reality is that we don’t know why someone is into this religious style mode. Personally I think they are nuts to wear all these strange expensive outfits etc. In my opinion it doesn’t help their reality.  But I perceive others don’t think the way I think.



I think these thoughts - but by mouthing them - people might perceive me as a complainer or what have you - and want to stone me to death like they did Stephen when he spoke up.

I’m very happy now with Pope Francis. At present, the perceptions are that he’s interested in simplifying, simplifying, simplifying.

John the 23 went that way - and the opposite - the extravagant - had come back.  That’s my perception.

In my opinion, the glitter and the glamour can get in the way of the reality of the gospel.

I like it when the founder of the Redemptorists, St. Alphonsus,  was made a bishop,  he went very simple. For example, as bishop he was given a few rings and things - and they went the way of donations. We were told the stone in his ring was simply broken glass. He was strongly against elaborate meals, beds, carriages, and what have you. He said, “St Peter the first pope - he didn’t have a carriage.” 

Yet he did see a carriage would get him to places faster than on foot - so it better be a borrowed or a cheap carriage. [1]

This pope knows the life of St. Francis and these saints - so I’m optimistic that he’ll cut the stuff that Jesus cut - and the saints cut.

That would be my way with dealing with perceptions.

The reality better be the reality that Jesus, the gospel, and people must come first - especially the poor.

Otherwise just as ostentation and classy stuff can be deception - so too simplicity.

CONCLUSION

The bottom line is reality.

God, neighbor, self.

Birth, death, eternity.

Love of God and love of neighbor.



PICTURES

On top: Habit of St. Francis of Assisi

Next: A Bishop in cappa magna.

Next: Christ on the cross by Rembrandt

Next: Cardinal Burke in red.


NOTES:

[1] Theodule Rey-Mermet, St. Alphonsus Liguori, Tireless Worker for the Most Abandoned, New City press, 206 Skillman Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11211, pages 507-623

No comments: