Wednesday, March 20, 2013


STUCK?  HAVE A PROBLEM?
SEE I AM DOING SOMETHING NEW


INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this feast of St. Joseph is, “Stuck?  Have a Problem? See I Am Doing Something New.”

The “See I Am Doing Something New” is a statement. It’s a Bible text. It’s Isaiah 43: 19. It was in last Sunday’s first reading, Isaiah 43: 16-21. However, I have some regrets that I didn’t preach on it. In fact, I felt guilty not even referring to the First Reading. It was because of that text and because it had some good stuff in it. I also noticed  the first reader in both Masses that I had,  read the text very well.

I preached on the Gospel mainly - the story of the woman they wanted to stone to death - because they caught her committing adultery - and they were using her to try to catch Jesus.

And Jesus did something new - he challenged the scribes and the Pharisees to police themselves - instead of policing others - to look at their within - instead of meddling in the life of another. A few women pointed out after Mass that the gospel doesn’t mention the guy she was caught with.

Then, even though I didn’t preach on the Isaiah statement about “See I Am Doing Something New!”, I felt stuck because that text has been on my mind.

EXILE AND EXODUS

In that first reading from last Sunday’s, Isaiah was speaking to people caught in slavery - exiled up to Babylon. He wanted to give them new hope. So he pointed out an image - which was an opening - a way - out of their trap, He told them their exit from their Exile could be like the Exodus of their ancestors from slavery in Egypt. He gave them images of water in the desert - rivers in the wasteland - so they too could escape and get back to the land of milk and honey - the Promised Land.

WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY?

That was Sunday. Today is Tuesday, March 19th, the feast of St. Joseph - and there are different readings. Thinking about some different things that are happening today, I saw a way out of that feeling of being stuck about  something that hit me for Sunday, I saw  an opening to re-look at that theme and bring it to the forefront. It was like spotting a spring in a desert wasteland.

Today in Rome the new pope gets is officially blessed at a public Mass as pope - even though he’s an old man.

People ask priests, “What’s your take on the new pope?”

My first take is a hesitation: we’ll see.

My second take is positive:

·        I consider it good news that Benedict showed us that a pope can retire. That is a breath of fresh air.

·        I consider it good news that this new guy is not from Europe, that he’s a religious, that he took the bus with the boys - instead of the limo, that he seems more down to earth, that he seems more simple than elaborate.

·        I see it as good news that he took the name Francis and wants the church to get down to its primary vision of concern for the poor - as Jesus said in his inaugural address - quoting Isaiah - I sense the vision that Francis of Assisi had. Francis’ vision was the voice from God, “Rebuild my church!”  If there is anything the church needs to do, it’s right there.

My third take is my dream that he’ll cut down on hats and the rich frilly vestments and all that - and get about the real business of Christ.

So today March 19th, he’s prayed over and officially blessed as our new pope. I never liked the word “installed”.

FEAST OF ST. JOSEPH

Today March 19th, is also the feast day of St. Joseph. I like the dream theme in today’s gospel - that Joseph is stuck - in a dilemma. His wife to be is pregnant - and she could be stoned to death for this. And yet he dreams big and takes her as his wife - and Jesus comes into our world saying over and over again the message, “See I make all things new.”

MARCH 19, 1863

The title of my homily is, “Stuck? Have a Problem? See, I Am Doing Something New!”

On this day - in this church - the Redemptorists who were rather new to Annapolis - building this church and big rectory - were rather stuck. It was Civil War time. Father Seelos and our provincial were worried about our students being drafted, so they brought Archbishop Kendrick down from Baltimore and ordained 20 students to the sub-diaconate today, the diaconate tomorrow, and the priesthood on March 21. According to Robert Worden’s book on St. Mary’s Church in Annapolis, Maryland, “It was the largest number of men ever ordained at one time in the United States up to that time.” Cf. page 59.] It was a creative way out of the dilemma.

CONCLUSION: SOME QUESTIONS

In this homily, I pointed out a few ways people got out of being stuck - and coming up with a new solution. Let me ask a few questions.

Are we stuck in some problem and we don’t know how to get out of it? Have we asked for help?  Are we stuck in the old? What new book have we read lately? Are we telling each other the same old stories?  What have we in our plans for some creative new adventures into Washington D.C. or Harper’s Ferry or what or where have you?  Have we thought of writing our life - looking at what has happened - so that we find ourselves opening up to some new happenings?

No comments: