Thursday, February 7, 2013


APPROACHING GOD



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 4th Thursday in Ordinary Time is, “Approaching God.”

HEBREWS 12: 18-24

When I read today's first reading which has these image filled words: "Remember what you approached: not something touchable, not the blazing fire of Sinai, with darkness, gloom , and whirlwind, the trumpet-blast and the oracular voice, which they heard, and begged to hear no more; for they could not bear the command..." I wondered what would it be like to approach God?

What will I be feeling?  What will be my thoughts if I am blessed to be aware of everything as I’m approaching death? Or will I slowly slip into forgetting everything - muttering mysteries to nurses - if they wonder what old folks are talking about. Surprise! Then I wake up and I am about to meet God. 

Do is say, "Oh no!" or "Oh wow! Great"?

What will it be like to approach God?

FURTHER QUESTIONS

Did Jesus get angry when he heard people talking about God as a angry screamer - tyrant - or a grumpy Father?

Did any of the images of God that  we hear in the Jewish Scriptures - make Jesus wince?

Is that why Jesus pictured God as that wonderful Father in his story of the Prodigal Son - or the Good Shepherd looking for a lost sheep - or the woman who had lost the coin and searched and searched till she found it? [Cf. Luke 15]

CHERRY PICKING SCRIPTURE TEXTS

Then it hit me - that I can cherry pick scripture texts - stuff from the Jewish Bible - that can make God very forgiving - no matter what - like the story of Hosea. He forgave his wife - no matter what. 

I can also pick texts from the Gospel where Jesus talks about a God who is very fierce. For example in Matthew 25 Jesus finishes the Parable of the Talents by having the useless servant thrown into the darkness outside - where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth. Then in that same chapter 25, the King of the Final Judgment sends the goats into eternal punishment. Uh oh!

SO HOW DOES THIS ALL WORK?

What is God like? What would it be like to be called to His office?

I’ve met lots and lots of principals and moms and dads - who seemed wonderful, warm - and rather approachable. I’ve also met several priests, dads, bishops, principals who seemed very severe.

If our dad was a piece of cake - a most happy fellow - a warm teddy bear of a guy - does that play into how we picture our God?

I always love to see the ending of the Wizard of Oz when the Wizard - the man behind the curtain - is shown to be an ordinary human being.

When we die and get to heaven, what will it be like? Will God be approachable or unapproachable?

CONCLUSION

I like today’s first reading because the speaker says that when we approach God we don’t need to do it with fear and trembling. Isn’t that what the author of Hebrews is telling us in today’s first reading?  When you approach God, God is not untouchable. God is not a blazing fire - an erupting volcano. God is not gloomy darkness. God is not storm or trumpet blast - or someone who is a silent iceberg.

I hear Kierkegaard [1813-1855] calling for Fear and Trembling

I don't see myself approaching God with that feeling. I can say that now. At present I also hope I can say at the end of my life, “Peace God, Peace. God you My God - My Joy and My Salvation. Amen."

No comments: