Monday, September 10, 2012




CHOICES, CONVICTIONS,
COMMITMENTS: THE DOWN DEEP UNSEEN STUFF


 INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time B is, “Choices, Convictions, Commitments: The Down Deep Unseen Stuff.”

The summer is almost over. People are back to school for a few weeks now. The weather in late September and October is usually cool and crisp. Except for an Indian Summer - it’s “feeling alive” weather from now till Thanksgiving. So it’s good thinking time. It’s a great time to be serious. It’s a good time to check out the stuff in our basement - the down deep stuff - the choices, the convictions, the commitments,  the central covenants of our life.

THE DEEP DOWN UNSEEN STUFF

So today I want  to talk about the basic bedrock decisions and values that are me. Who am I when I’m alone? Who is the real me?  Check out the stuff below the surface - the stuff in the basement. What do I talk to myself about when I’m driving alone - or when I’m taking a shower or  when I am in prayer— when I am all alone with myself? Who am I? Where do I stand? What do I stand for? Not the me when I’m on stage. No: the back stage me. The me not too many know. The me that’s me when I’m lonely or thinking or wondering.

MOVIE

I remember watching an old movie - quite by chance. It was called, The Little Drummer Girl [1984]. I missed it when it came out in the theaters. It’s based on the 1983 book with the same name by John Le Carre. What hit me about the movie was how Diane Keaton was challenged, how she was pushed, right to the wall about herself, her very being.

It’s a spy movie - intrigue between the Israelis and the Palestinian Liberation Organization. Without knowing it or seeing it coming, Diane Keaton is recruited and goes deep into the PLO. She is pushed to her limits.  She is challenged about what she stands for - to plant a bomb to kill Israelis - in order to catch a Palestinian.

Some critics say the movie is implausible. Others say, “Okay, but it’s an tense gripping story.”

Whatever…. As I watched it, it got me thinking. Sometimes when watching a movie all alone, this happens. It got me to ask myself, “What are my beliefs and convictions? What do I stand for? What am I living for? What’s my life all about?”

At least 2 times in the movie Charlie (Diane Keaton) is challenged, “You don’t stand for anything. You’re all on the surface. You don’t know where you stand. You’re nothing. What do you want out of life?”

The questions felt real to me.

TODAY’S READINGS

When I read today’s three readings, that movie moment came back to me. All 3 readings are very challenging. They yell at us to look at the stuff down deep inside of us — who we are and what we stand for.

FIRST READING

Isaiah, courageously says, “Here I stand. I don’t back down. I hold my face up, even if they pluck or pull my beard and beat my back. I show my face.” Unlike people who are caught in a crime or a scam or a scandal, who hide their face, Isaiah says, “I am willing to go to court to prove my innocence, because God is with me.” Let God be my judge.

SECOND READING

James also powerfully challenges anyone who is all talk and no action. He tells that he believes strongly in action and that that belief is the bedrock of his life. That belief underlies his life.

There are people who are all talk. They say to their neighbor when they are in need, “Best of luck, Charlie, hope you make it.” Or someone is cold, and they say, “Hey, I hope your mom and dad sends you a coat in the mail. Best of luck.”

If you are that way, you are all air. You’re nothing.

James says, Show me your faith without works  and I will show you not only the faith that underlies my life - but also the works that flow from that faith.

GOSPEL

In today’s gospel Jesus asks, “Who do people say that I am?” They give answers.

Then he asks at point blank range,  “But who do you say that I am?”

Peter  impulsively bursts out with the words, “You are the Messiah. You are the one we are looking for.”

Then Peter, having gotten an A on this first test - riding on top of the waves - crashes.

Jesus tells Peter and the disciples what’s ahead: rejection and being killed. He adds resurrection after 3 days, but they don’t hear that. They hear the pain.

Peter takes Jesus aside and says, “Don’t go there!”

Jesus then blasts Peter with the words, “Get out of my sight, you Satan. You’re not thinking as God thinks.”

Then Jesus tells them how God thinks: “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel will save it.”

Tough stuff. 

THREE QUESTIONS

Here are 3 questions for some homework this week.

As I began, this is the time of the year that is good for the serious stuff - before the leaves start falling from the trees - when the apples are picked. Here’s some questions to think about when you are alone or when you are taking a shower. Here are 3 basic questions as a framework to clarify some life stuff.

1) WHO AM I

The first question is the regular: “Who am I?” If you do this kind of stuff together in your marriage and/or family, ask different folks to write up who they think you are. Before the leaves fall from the trees, before you are buried in the ground, eulogies in the autumn of our lives are helpful.

When I gave high school retreats I used to ask young people to take ten small pieces of paper and write down 10 “I am” statements.

Then I’d ask young people to put the 10 in order of importance and then share one’s answers with one other person - preferably a friend - someone whom you know and have spent time with  - on the aside - and see where that takes you. Have the other do the same with you - and just listen to each other.

Then I read somewhere that 10 “I am” statements are not enough. 25 is much better. Somewhere around 18 people get very heavy.

I love to quote the shortest poem ever written. It’s called, “The Existential Poem.” It goes like this and it rhymes,

                   I
Why?

2) WHO ARE YOU?

The second question is the, “Who are you?” question.

Make a list of the significant people in my life. Parents, friends, people I love. The other person in my marriage.

I once wrote the second shortest poem ever written. It also is two words and it too rhymes,

                   You
                   Who?

Who is the other person. You / Who? Hello! What makes you tick?

If you’re close and secure with another, you can try this.

Let’s talk!

3) CHRIST: WHO DO YOU SAY I AM?

The third and last question is to say to Jesus who he is to you.

Write out your answers and comments.

Suggestion:  begin with 25 who he is -  then narrow it down to 5, then to 3, and then to 1.

Then read today’s gospel again - Mark 8: 27-35 - and then relook at your answers about who Christ is to you. Amen. 


No comments: