Monday, September 10, 2012


    CAVE IN 

In  1879 or 1880 a 12 year old girl
brought her dad down into some prehistoric
caves in Spain - where there were
ancient drawings and paintings.

In 1940, four teenagers discovered
the ancient caves at Lascaux
in southwest France - which also had
pre-historic etchings and paintings.

In 1947, a Kid - a Bedouin shepherd boy
discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls
in a cave while looking for his  lost sheep.

Jesus said, “Unless you be like
little children, you will not discover
the kingdom of God.”

Jesus - carpenter and inner voice,
bring me down deep into my inner room -
better to go down deeper into my inner caves.

Together let us discover the images
and the handwriting on my walls.

What will we discover  there?
What are my secret secrets?
What are my Dead Sea Scrolls?
What are my paintings and pictures?

What are our deepest desires:
Envy, anger, lust? Or are the deepest
three: love, envy, comparisons?
Or is it the refusal to go within?

Or will I discover Risen Lord down there?
Is that the place you descended into
after your death to bring all of
us into resurrection and new life?




© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2012

Picture on top: Cave drawing in Lascaux, France

No comments: