Sunday, February 26, 2012



METAPHORS
FOR LIFE

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is, “Metaphors for Life.”

Do people have a metaphor for life? If they do, what is it? If they do, when do they put it together or when do they put it on like a coat?

This question hit me from the sermon I preached here yesterday afternoon and this morning at 11 AM.

ROLLER COASTER

The first metaphor I used was that of a roller coaster. I told the story about how when we were in the 8th grade a bunch of us boys used to take the subway train to Coney Island - for a couple of hours - not to swim - but mainly to go on the Cyclone.

The Cyclone was the roller coaster in Coney Island and in the New York - New Jersey area. And actually it was mainly the first hill. After that it was easy rolling. The first hill down seemed like it was more than 90 degrees - because it felt like you went down and in and then up again.

We’d go on a few times. I think it was 50 cents - maybe even 25 cents in the early 1950’s. Then we’d go over to Nathan’s for a hot dog and an orange drink and then walk down to the water - not go it - and then head back to the Cyclone for one more ride and then take the train home.

In my homily this morning I asked if that’s a metaphor for life. Sometimes it’s like we’re on a train - flat tracks - a few twists and turns - but not scary. Sometimes it’s like we’re on a roller coaster - up and down, up and down, and twists and turns all around. And sometimes we’re just sitting around, relaxing, enjoying a hot dog and an orange drink.

ICE CREAM CONES

The second metaphor I used was ice cream cones.

Last Thursday I went downtown Annapolis and then to the Naval Academy for a 45 minute walk. I love to do that - because seeing all those young people running, exercising, throwing a Frisbee, practicing lacrosse, challenges me to try to stay healthy. There was even a group of Naval Academy young people practicing Danny Boy with brass instruments.

But what hit me from that walk downtown and then through the Naval Academy was the people down town Annapolis on Thursday afternoon. I saw lots and lots and lots of people eating ice cream cones.

Could that be a metaphor for life? Looking at your life right now are you just starting with a brand new full ice cream cone - 2 scoops - and you’re just starting to lick away? Or is your ice cream cone almost finished and your hands are sticky and you forgot to get a napkin? Or did your kid drop and plop his ice cream cone - and she’s screaming and you hand her yours? Or you’re diabetic - and I know there’s sugar free ice cream - but it’s really not - and you say, “My ice cream cone days are over. Ugh.”

LENT

Lent is a good time to look at your life.

Where are you? Is there something that you need to do for more life?

Are you into self destruction?

How do you see life?

TODAYS’ READINGS

Today’s first reading and today’s gospel - give us two totally different metaphors: the water and the desert - two totally different scenes.

Is the ocean a good metaphor for life. Those of you who sail might like this.

Sometimes all is calm. Sometimes all is storm. Sometimes you get a lot of wind. Sometimes you have to turn the motor on.

Some people see life as a sail from A to B.

The earth is 76 % or so water. Sometimes water gets tricky and wipes out homes and roads, bridges and docks. Sometimes it’s nice and easy.

In today’s first reading all is nice - but there is a great flood.

As it happens every time - when the world goes cafluey, when there are great storms and floods, and a lot is destroyed, a lot of people think God is mad at us for sin and selfishness.

Today’s first reading presents just that as the case.

So if we take what’s happening with water as a metaphor for life, then there are times we need rainbows. Enough is enough.

I would assume that the human call is to be rainbows - that all the rainbow of people around the world helps specific peoples when they are flooded out.

I remember a big enormous priest  - with a big smile - telling me that when Hurricane Agnes devastated parts of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania and that area, money poured into the diocese from Churches  all over the country - and the bishop called him and other priests in - to go and see people and hand them money. So he had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hundred dollar bills and he was Santa Claus coming in to see hundreds of people.

Is that a metaphor for life. Sometimes we’re the flooded out. Sometimes we’re the rainbow - giving hope and recovery.

The gospel tells the story in the early part of Jesus’ life when the Spirit drove him into the desert and he wrestled and struggled with Satan. And the story adds that angels ministered to him.

I’ve only been to two deserts. One was 100 miles east of San Diego - in the Salton Sea area of California. I would not have wanted to live there. The other was near Tucson Arizona - and I was preaching there - but it didn’t rain. All is sand. All is heat. All is dry. But they told me if it rains, what a difference. Flowers bloom almost immediately.

Isaiah the prophet took that image in his sermons and poems and said that’s us. If we hide from God - all can dry up - all can die - but if we hang with God the desert can bloom.

What does my life look like? Desert or lake or ocean or bay?

What is the metaphor for my life?

CONCLUSION

Lent is a good time to look at one’s life and all this stuff.

The theme and thought of my homily is to look at your metaphor for your life.

I’m not sure what mine is. I once heard a speaker and he saw life as a battle. The more he spoke, the more I disagreed with him.

I prefer the roller coaster and the subway train and the Nathan’s hot dogs and orange drink image much better. Amen.




No comments: