Thursday, March 24, 2011


QUIET DRIVE

I need quiet to hear what I’m not hearing.
I need quiet to hear the voices of those people
around me whom I’m neglecting.
I need to ask others, “How’s it going?”
And then to hear, to listen, and then ask them
further questions and wonderings about
their further wonderings and wanderings.
I need quiet to hear my own inner voices –
especially those voices I avoid and put on hold.
God you know this. You know this better
than all of us – because You’re The Quiet One.
You know that by being quiet we understand
why You’re so quiet. I guess, we’re like two friends,
lovers, buddies, driving together on a long ride –
sometimes down dark highways – and we both realize
words and radio are not necessary. We speak
from time to time about those things that are on our mind
or all those interesting things – like lights at night coming at
our front windshield – and what’s on the other side
of dark tunnels. By the way: “Do you ever want to drive?”


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2011

No comments: