Wednesday, March 23, 2011


IT’S THE PITS!



INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this 2nd Wednesday of Lent is, “It’s The Pits.”

In today’s first reading from Jeremiah 18: 18-20. I noticed the word, “pit,” so I began wondering if the phrase, “It’s the pits” – comes from here.

I don’t know. I doubt it. I also couldn’t find out too much about the phrase, “It’s the pits!”

The Dictionary of Clichés says it’s a modern term in the United States going back to the 1970’s. That didn’t sound right – but that’s what it said. I seem to remember hearing people say, “It’s the pits!” ever since I was a kid and that takes me back to the 1940’s.

Next, I couldn’t find out whether the phrase was referring to the pits in fruit or olives that you don’t want to bite into or whether it was referring to a hole in the ground – that you don’t want to fall into.

Either way it can be bad news. It’s the pits.


JEREMIAH

In today’s first reading from Jeremiah 18 he seems to be predicting what’s going to happen 20 chapters later, in Chapter 38. There he’s thrown into a pit or cistern for speaking up against those in power. He tells them that the city of Jerusalem is going to fall to the Babylonians.

The pit is a well without water – only mud – and Jeremiah is lowered down into the mud by ropes. Lucky for Jeremiah – a man named Ebed-melek the Cushite – who is part of the palace staff – goes to the king and pleads for Jeremiah – telling the king it you don’t free Jeremiah, he’s going to die. The king says, “Okay, take 3 men with you from here and go and pull the prophet Jeremiah out of the well before he dies.”

Jeremiah is rescued. It’s a very interesting scene and story.

QUESTION

How about a practical idea for today in this homily on, “It’s The Pits!”?

Okay. How about this Lenten question for just today? “Wherever I am today – whether it’s at work or at home or traffic or wherever – can I make that place the opposite of, “It’s the pits.”

I was wondering: What is the opposite of “It’s the pits?” Is it: “It’s paradise!” or, “It’s heaven!” If the pits are the bottom – the opposite would be the top. So the contrast would be the pits versus the peaks. Heaven or Hell. Good vs. Evil.

THE PITS


The pits would be a home or work place where there is a lot of complaining or whining or negative button pushing.

The pits would be a place where people are all trying to top the other person – trying to be #1 – like the mother of James and John – in today’s gospel trying to get her sons to be on the right and left of Jesus when he comes into his kingdom. This is the stuff that causes dissension in the ranks or in a home.

Jesus says that the secret in life is not to be served – but to serve. Jesus says that the secret of life is to follow him – to drink the cup he offers – and that means – putting others ahead of ourselves – making life sweeter for others – and this calls for dying to self.

CONCLUSION

I think that’s enough. I’m suggesting that this morning to make an examination of consciousness – to ask the simple question: “Today when I walk into the rooms I am going to walk into, will I make them the peaks of joy and peace and love and not the pits.”

And how do I do that? Answer: put others first – to be like Ebed-melek the Cushite – to be aware of those who are stuck or in the pits and to work to help pull them out of their depths – to make others # 1. Amen.






No comments: