Wednesday, November 10, 2010


TEMPTATION



The sign said, “DO NOT ENTER!!”
And it had two, two exclamation points.
Now that’s a temptation – like the
cake on the counter – but “Kids, you first
have to eat the vegetables on the table.”
Closet doors are to be opened.
Curtains are to be closed.
Wrapping is to be unwrapped.
Just a peek, Just one. Just this once.
Nobody will ever notice. Temptation
comes with the wrapping on the gift.
Temptation slips and slides and hides
in every good – because every good
somehow attracts the static cling of evil.
No wonder the ancient wisdom:
temptation sneaks like a snake in the grass.
It’s a voice coming out
of the mouth of forbidden fruit.
“Touch me! Taste me! Take me! Tempt me.”
God, I’m so slow. Sin always seems so original.
And then with that first bite
comes the ugly aftertaste: the truth that
it’s good fruit but it's me who's rotting.
And then we find ourselves
outside the garden gate – with the want to
worm ourselves back into paradise.




© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2010

No comments: