Wednesday, November 10, 2010


IT’S ABOUT TIME


Time – time – ticking – ticking –
not as loud as in the days
with big grandfather clocks
in the vestibule – or bells ringing
in church towers every hour or so,
but time keeps ticking and kicking me
reminding me to keep moving,
“Get it done! Finish it! Come on now.
Hurry up. Hurry up. Quick now.
We only have so much time.”


Then the other side of me roars;
the lazy side of me, the Sabbath side
of me, says, “Hey slow down. Enough
already. Give me a break. It’s about time
I realize life is more than work, work, work.
I need some time to walk and nap and relax
before the clock stops for me.”
And God, You’re outside time.
You're in eternity! How did You
ever come up with this idea of time?
Interesting reality! Did You send Your Son
to grasp its pull and push and limitation
or did You learn about it from watching us?

© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2010

No comments: