Tuesday, September 15, 2009


STOP SIGNS!


In my late-sixties I started to see STOPsigns everywhere – in gardens at roses,
in the face of Everyman and Everywoman,
half way through many an “Our Father…”,
at unique paintings in art museums
and pictures pinned to cork boards
in 1st Grade classrooms, in slow
sips of coffee – in the lick and "Yum! Yum!"
of peanut butter on top of cold butter on rye bread.
Instead of Yield, 65 MPH, entrance and exit signs,
I began seeing STOP signs!
I began hearing, “STOP!” “STOP!” “STOP!”
Better: realities around me stopped me.
Best: I decided not only to STOP,
but to park my soul – get out and
see, listen, taste, touch,
who and what was at today’s table.
And at times I would realize:
God is not just in light speed,
billions of stars and galaxies,
darting birds and focused bees,
God is also about STOP.
God is here. God is silent.
God is present, parked, taking it all in.



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: