Thursday, September 17, 2009


BALTIC SEA


Just back from a 12 day cruise on the Baltic Sea.
Each early morning – each early evening –
I glanced at the light filling in
every furrow of the dark blue sea.
My face glimmered. I could feel it.
My eyes squinted – depending on
whether I was looking east or west,
morning or night. Light – bright – sea
and sky – canvas, tarp, mirror, fields
of water and clouds. And I was just
seeing surface and sky. God I need
to walk more decks – more mornings,
more nights – sidewalks and beaches.
Be with me in the in and out, surface and depth,
the within and the without, the under
and the over, the behind and the beneath of it all.
And this was just twelve days on one shining,
shaking, and shifting sea. More!
And then Eternity: the other shore
with You on the beach waiting – waiting.
Yet Lord, please, not yet. There are other seas
to sail. There is so much more to see.
There is so much more to do
before I reach that final shore. Eternity.






© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: