Thursday, April 2, 2009

PARENTS PRAYER
FOR PATIENCE

Lord, I’m impatient with being impatient.
I’m impatient praying for patience.
Lord, please, listen to this impatient prayer
from this very impatient parent.

I need more gentleness, more forgiveness, more listening,
more understanding of others as well as myself.
I need patience, patience with others, especially the kids.
Help me to count to 10, or better 100, before I scream?
Help my kids and help me to hear the love behind my yelling.
Help them to know I’m trying to do what’s best for them,
especially when I nag them about neatness and homework,
about whom they date and how late they get home.
Help them to see that I don’t want them to get hurt –
better, that they make good moves and smart decisions,
especially when they are impatient and hard on themselves,
especially when they compare themselves to those
they think are smarter, quicker, better or what have you,
compared to me, compared to You, O Lord.

And Lord, hurry up and answer my prayer. Amen.



© Andy Costello, Prayers, 2009

No comments: