Thursday, April 2, 2009


AUTOBIOGRAPHY
&
SPIRITUAL DIRECTION


I was ashamed
and you didn’t get nervous.
You listened
and I finally cried.
I laughed
and you wondered --
but you kept on listening
till we both got the joke.
You were slowly
letting me in on my mystery.

It came in glimpses and snatches,
snapshots from my life,
pictures I didn’t know I took,
scenes I didn’t want to look at.

There were mistakes,
embarrassing moments,
and I learned I was not the only one.
You waited till I finally learned:
they were the great teachers.
Thanks! You taught me that.

You helped me see
stirrings in my soul,
screams for sanity and sanctity,
justice and serendipity,
songs I wasn’t listening to,
gentle breezes and a few violent storms,
that moved in out of my life from time to time.

You were slowly sculpting me
like the sand on the shore,
like the stone of mountains,
like mud of earth,
like child in womb,
forming me into your own image and likeness,
becoming ONE with your Son.

Then the crumble, then the cross,
then Easter, Resurrection,
The Risen Son of the morning,
Pentecost Spirit at noon,
and finally evening
experiencing the Prodigal Father’s embrace
whenever I come home to You.
Older brothers and sisters
come to the banquet.
It’s not just for me!



© Andy Costello, Reflections, 2009

No comments: