Thursday, September 6, 2007

LOVE IS OUTSIDE
THE NUMBERS



LOVE is outside the numbers.

Once people who love each other start counting, then something has died.

“I took the garbage out three times last week and you haven’t taken it out in the past two weeks.”

“Who’s counting?”

“I emptied out the dishwasher every morning this week and you haven’t done it once.”

“Who’s counting?”

“I helped with the kids’ homework at least a dozen times this new school year and I haven’t seen you do it yet.”

“Who’s counting?”

“But we made love three times this week already.”

“Who’s counting?”

“Three times in a row now you finished the toilet paper roll and didn’t replace it with a new one.”

“Who’s counting?” “

“Mom, that’s the third time this evening that you said, `Where’s my pocketbook?’ You must be getting senile.”

“Who’s counting?”

“I got up to answer the phone three times already this evening and you haven’t gotten up once.”

“I didn’t know we were counting.”

Peter came up to Jesus and asked, “Lord, when my brother wrongs me, how often must I forgive him? Seven times?” (Matthew 18:21).

And Jesus answered, “Who’s counting?”

“Two men went up to temple to pray: one was a Pharisee, the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, with head unbowed, prayed in this fashion: `I give you thanks, O God, that I am not like the rest of men — grasping, crooked, adulterous — or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I pay tithes on all I possess’” (Luke 18:9-14)

And God said. “Who’s counting?”

“When those hired late in the afternoon came up they received a full day’s pay, and when the first group appeared they supposed they would get more; yet they received the same daily wage. Thereupon they complained to the owner, `This last group did only an hour’s work, but you have put them on the same basis as we who have worked a full day in the scorching heat.’ `My friend,’ he said to one in reply, `I do you no injustice. You agreed on the usual wage, did you not? Take your pay and go home. I intend to give this man who was hired last the same pay as you. I am free to do as I please with my money, am I not? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ Thus the last shall be first and the first shall be last” (Matthew 20:1-16).

“Who’s counting?”

“In your prayer do not rattle on like pagans. They think they will win a hearing by the sheer multiplication of words” (Matthew 6:7)

“Who’s counting?”

And Peter told Jesus that he was hurt when he asked him three times, “Do you love me?” (John 21:15-19).

And Jesus said, “Who’s counting? Do you love me?”

MANTRA: Love is outside the numbers.



© Andrew Costello, Chapter 50, Thank God It's Friday, 1987

No comments: