Thursday, September 6, 2007

DEPTH CHARGE

Somehow, I’m a submarine,
sitting all alone under the sea,
sliding along silently,
hiding deep down beneath the surface,
trying to go unnoticed,
hiding in the deep underwater of life.

Okay, I’m selfish
in this sneaky pattern of mine,
this slowly slipping away
from others – especially when
they swim too close to me,
that is, when I’m in my shallow waters.

And you there, when I’m close to you,
you might think I’m listening to you.
I’m not. I’m silently figuring out
how to slip away – not wanting
to be bothered – wanting to keep moving
to lonelier, deeper, darker waters.

Then surprise! There you are. Next to me.
It’s funny, isn’t it? Both of us doing
this same underwater maneuver down through the years,
and now we have bumped into each other
right here, right now, down deep below,
together in the all alone. Depth charge.




© Andrew Costello

No comments: