Wednesday, July 26, 2023

 July 26, 2023


EYES AND EARS

 

The title of my homily for this feast of Joachim and Ann is, “Eyes and Ears”.

They are wonderful when they work.

Take your both hands and touch your closed eyes and say, “Thank You God for my eyes and the blessings they have seen.”

Take your both hands and touch your ears and say, “Thank You God for my ears and for the blessings they have heard.”

“Eyes and Ears” – the title of my homily – to use your eyes and ears for a simple morning and night prayer each day.

Today’s gospel from Matthew 13:16-17 has the basic message – something Jesus said to his disciples:   “Blessed are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear.”

He goes on and adds, “Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see and did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”

Today is the feast of Mary’s parents – who go by the name of Joachim and Ann – the grandparents of Jesus. They were blessed to see Mary born and watch her as she grew up. She was  blessed to see and hear them in action.

I only saw one of my 4 grandparents – my mom’s mom – and just for one of the weeks she was in America. I only remember her wrinkled facical skin and big black high top shoes. That was it.

But I can use my imagination and figure out who they were from black and white photographs – and how my mom and dad were.

Blessings…. Gratitude for the gift of life and love that have come down to me.

We know little about Joachim and Ann. But we can watch grandparents in action and catch glimpses of the great vocation to be a good grandparent – and move those thoughts back to Joachim and Ann. Amen.


No comments: