Monday, April 24, 2023

 April  24, 2023



April 24, 2023

THE  CANE

 

They told me to get a cane.

They said, “It will be good for your safety.”

Evidently, they thought about me

doing that for a while now.

I began thinking about it

for the past few days.

Lots of thoughts:

I’ll be carrying not just me now –

but a wagonful of thoughts about aging –

what it means to see someone with a cane.

Well, I’m not a crutch. I’m a cane. I’m a help.

I hope I’ll be good at this.

 

 Reflections, Andy Costello


THE  CANE

 

They told me to get a cane.

“It will be good for your safety.”

Evidently, they thought about me doing that

for a while now.

I began thinking about it for the past few days.

I’ll be carrying not just me now – but a handful of thoughts

about aging – about inability - what it means to see someone with a cane.

Well, I’m not a crutch. I’m a cane. I’m a help.

I hope I’ll be good at this. 

© Reflections, Andy Costello


No comments: