Monday, February 13, 2023

 February 13, 2023




SOUNDS

 

While I still have my hearing, I listen.

Trains – the North Jersey Coast tracks -

are only three streets away from here.

Ambulances – at least ten a day –

pass by our house – screeching:

“Move over. We need to get to

the hospital and get there right now."

We have boats going by, but they

are quiet  - out there in the ocean.

Helicopters fly by – just two a day –

up and down – along the coast.

People – still the most interesting.

Once by myself on a train – four

women were heading for a college

class reunion in New York City.

They were in four seats facing

each other – right across from me.

I had a spiral pad, two ball point pens –

and I listened and listened – jotting

down all I could get. It was better

than a newspaper or a novel. Great

sounds for an hour and a half trip -

and they had no idea I was there.


© Reflections, Andy Costello


No comments: