Saturday, December 10, 2022

 December 7,  2022



Reflection



BEING EVANGELIZED BY THE POOR


For the last 30, 40, 50 years, I've been hearing the phrase, "Being evangelized by the poor."


For the last 15 to 20 years I've tried at times - not professionally - to understand what that phrase means - but I still don't.


The poor beggar ... the drug addict ... those who seem lost to me - I don't know how to learn from them or to figure out what they are saying?

At times I hear people saying we ought to bring Larry the Loser in to give us a talk "Put Homeless Harry in the pulpit."  I sense they don't understand what being taught by the poor means - so they joke about the whole idea.


I know that Jesus fed the poor and healed the rejected - and spent time with the non accepted.


I know that Jesus praised the lady who who donated her 2 coins to the poor - and Jesus said she gave more than all the rest.


I know we're not supposed to get caught up in the rat race for success - or money - or to be in first place, but ....


And at times I get to the conclusion that I am poor - stupid - and I need too admit I am poor.


When I see someone in the nursing  home dribbling, or moaning, and tied down - I don't ask  their economic status - just that they know the love of God and others for them.


I have to be open to them and aware of them and love them.


I am poor and don't know what to do - other than to love - while at the same time I can know what I am going through, but I have not heard the story - what others are going through.

No comments: