Thursday, March 10, 2022

 


KNOCK  KNOCK

[This is an attempt to put today’s gospel into a poem.]

 

I walked by God’s door
over and over again –
too, too many times.
 
But I didn’t walk up
the steps to knock
on God’s door.
 
Instead I complained
over and over again –
too, too many times.
 
I complained that God’s
door was always locked –
so that’s why I didn’t knock.
 
Finally, I did. Finally I
walked up the steps. Finally,
I knocked on God’s door.
 
I knocked - knocked. The door
opened and there was God.
I asked. I sought. God answered.
 
I was invited in. I was given
a seat at the longest table I ever saw –
with millions and billions of people,
 
I was handed a loaf of bread.
It wasn’t a rock. It was the most
delicious tasting bread I ever had.
 
I was nourished. I was energized.
I went out that door filled with the desire
that I too could bring bread to God’s world.

 

©  Andy Costello
Thursday 1st Week of Lent
March 10, 2022
Gospel: Matthew 7: 7-12

No comments: