Saturday, January 1, 2022

 January 1,  2022


STICKS AND STONES

 
 
Which do you prefer: sticks or stones?
 
Was it a question of taste – or was it a necessity – our ancestors choosing wood or stone?
 
Obviously, it was both – stone homes with wooden doors – stone axes with wooden handles.
 
Wood – so much easier to work with – to carve – to carry – to use – but I wood rots. It burns.
 
Stone – so much heavier,  so hard to carve, to cut, to carry,  but it doesn’t burn.
 
Wood or stone or what?  What describes my personality better? Best?
 
Wooden?  No, don’t call me wooden.
 
Rock?  Maybe sometimes. Yet who wants to be described as having a stone head or stone face?
 
Yet, I guess, I would want to be seen as strong and solid and someone you can lean on.  Wouldn’t you?
 
And Peter, the apostle, was nicknames, “Rock” by Jesus. Yet he was not that rocky when he denied Jesus 3 times.
 
And he sank, when he tried to walk on water.
 
And Jesus was a carpenter and he worked with wood – and walked on water – and he died on a wooden cross.
 
Me?  Okay too flexible at times – not strong enough at other times?  Is that always bad? Isn’t there strength in gentleness and suppleness and bendability?
 
Water?  Now that’s more like it.  That’s more me.
 
Sticks and stones?
 
Stones sink and wood floats.
 
I think I need to do some more thinking on all this.
 
Sticks and stones will break my bones - but names will never hurt me.
 
Wait a minute!
 
Want to bet on that?

 

© Andy Costello, Reflections 2022


No comments: