Monday, November 30, 2020

 


BROTHERS

 

The title of my homily is “Brothers.”
 
I thought that would be an appropriate topic and theme for Andrew on his feast day – the brother of Peter.
 
When we hear the word “brother” – obviously we have many thoughts – especially if are not an only child – and if we are a brother and / or if we have a brother or two or more.
 
Brothers ….
 
If we go into the greeting card section of a pharmacy or Hallmark store we won’t find as many cards for brothers as others:  Mothers – Dads – grandparents, nieces – sisters – Wife ----- but brother’s less.  That’s my observation.   
 
If we go into the Bible we’ll find a good variety of brothers.
 
There is Cain and Abel, Esau and Jacob,  Joseph and his brothers in Genesis.  Then there is Moses and Aaron in Exodus.  David had 19 sons – that’s a lot of brothers. In the Gospels we have Peter and Andrew, James and John, and then there is the Prodigal Son and his Older Brother – who won’t forgive him once – which is a very far distance from 7 times 7 times.
 
What’s your thoughts about brothers.
 
I just happened to be in my brother’s house in Laurel Maryland on Good Friday, April 20th, 1984 – the day he found out he had cancer – and I asked him, “How are you going to handle this?”  And he said, “I’ll let you know.”
 
And just before he died in 1986 he said, “Remember when you asked me how I would be able to handle this” well he continued, “I learned 3 things. “Think of others, have a sense of humor, and thank God mom and dad gave us the gift of faith.”
 
Andrew the Apostle in the Gospel of John brought his brother to Jesus.  I would think it was my parents who brought us to Jesus and to faith.
 
Andrew in the gospels brought the bread from some kid for Jesus to help feed the hungry crowds.  My brother used to love to make bread and then give it to neighbors. I got bread and great chocolate chip cookies from him. He also taught kids how to bake.
 
There is not much more in the gospels about Andrew – and his relationship to his brother.
 
Hopefully we know a lot more about our brothers – and we are thankful for their gift to our life.
 
FIVE  QUOTES IN CASE NOTHING IN MY HOMILY GRABBED YOU!
 
“ Being his real brother I could feel I live in his shadows, but I never have and I do not now.      I live in his glow.” – Michael Morpurgo
 
 Help your brother’s boat across, and your own will reach the shore.” – Hindu Proverb
 
“The highlight of my childhood was making my brother laugh so hard that food came out his nose.” – Garrison Keillor
 
“ My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, “You’re tearing up the grass.” “We’re not raising grass,” Dad would reply. “We’re raising boys.”” – Harmon Kellebrew
 
We are not only our brother's keeper; in countless large and small ways, we are our brother's maker.  Bonaro Overstreet

No comments: