Sunday, October 25, 2020

October 25, 2020

 


REMAINS

 

The tiniest crumb on the table ….
You were here ….
 
Some warmth in the chair ….
You just left ….
 
A scar on my memory ….
You said something that really hurt ….
 
A call on the answering machine ….
You tried to reach me ….
 
A postcard on the refrigerator door ….
You were thinking of me in Barcelona ….
 
The light on the side of the house was lit ….
You left a signal in the night for my return ….
 
Your ashes remain in a mahogany box ….
You died 8 months ago today ….

 

 

© Andy Costello,  Reflections 2020


1 comment:

Blue Bunny said...

Fr Costello,

You didn't know it but the timing of your poem REMAINS was near perfect. My husband Tom
passed away on 16 Nov 2019, nearly 12 months ago, and thanks to the Funeral Home and Fr McKenna's help, the ashes are now in an urn, in a niche at the cemetery. However, the sentiment and love you portrayed in the poem are still very much felt by me as if it was yesterday. I am so glad you had the inspiration.

Thank you and God bless,
Bunny Wilson
St Mary's Catholic Church, Annapolis