Sunday, August 2, 2020



CERTAIN   CHAIRS


Sometimes certain chairs end up 
as sacred chairs – a chair that 
everyone wants when mom or dad 
dies or has to move to a smaller place. 

We have ours. It’s wooden. It’s red. 
It’s old.  It would be passed by if left 
at the curb when people are getting 
rid of stuff – but this one has stories. 

My father sat in this chair, In fact he 
made this chair in the 1940’s from wood 
he picked up on the beach  at the Narrows –  
the water  leading  into the New York Harbor. 

It was down our basement in Brooklyn 
for years  My mother sat in this chair.
My brother sat in this chair. 
My 2 sisters sat in this chair.  

My nephew Michael sat in this chair 
playing the role of King of the World 
in games with kids – that is,  till he died 
suddenly at the age of 15 of cancer. 

It’s now outside – on my sister’s porch 
in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Not too 
many chairs last this long – but I hope and 
pray there is fight to see who gets it next. 


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2020

No comments: