Friday, April 10, 2020

April   10,  2020 





UNDER  THE  CROSS

I stand under the cross wishing
I could hear Jesus’ words to Mary and John
addressed to me:
“Woman, this is your son!”
and “This is your mother.”

I stand under the cross wishing
I could say what the Centurion said,
“Truly this was the Son of God.”

I stand under the cross watching
the scene between the Good Thief
and the Bad, but their voices are about
saving oneself and being saved and
robbing paradise at the last minute,
aren’t my scene either.

I stand under the cross wishing
I could say, “I am thirsty” wishing
my faith was thirstier,  but it’s not.

I stand under the cross in the dark
seeing the spit and the blood on the ground,
wondering down deep if the echo of curses
in the air still being thrown at Jesus
are my inner sounds. I hope not. No Never.

I stand under the cross and hear,
“Father forgive them because they
don’t know what they are doing.”

I stand under the cross saying and praying,
“That’s me. You know me. Into your hands,
O God, I hand over my spirit. Amen.”


© Reflections, Andy Costello

2 comments:

Biblioann said...

I love best your own translation of your motto: "Be who you is, because if you be who you're not, then you're not who you is."

THANK YOU FOR THESE INSPIRING THOUGHTS AT THIS TIME. They really call us to each do what we are best suited to do and not to feel powerless or unnecessary in this fight.
Sending you love, Father Andy on this Good Friday. Wish you were leading the service this afternoon, as you have at St. Mary's. I so miss you, as do so many of our friends and fellow parishioners!
xoxoxoxo
Ann

Eduardo Vazquez said...

Praise the Lord and thank you Father may you continue to give yourself for the good of others