Saturday, November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018



BROKEN  PROMISES

Young Donal, I fell for you and for your
promises. I promised you - if you’ll take
me across the oceans  - I’ll go with you.
I’ll share your bed and I’ll share your life.

I whistled for you. I cried 200 cries for you.
I gave my love to you from this tiny me.
But all I heard were the sheep bleating.
You were cheating. You were lying.

I fell for you on a Sunday - the Sunday
after Easter - in church  - when the
Passion was being read.  My eyes,
clung to you with love - with passion.

Now I’m lost and  broken. You’ve taken
from me the sun and the moon. You’ve taken
the heart out of my chest, and if I’m not
mistaken, I believe you’ve taken God as well.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018
This is a translation of a Gaelic Ballad,
with the name of Donal Og. It's sung
by Liadan.  Right below is an English
version of this same song by Roy Williamson.









No comments: