Monday, October 22, 2018


THE  ABILITY  TO  ACCEPT 
OTHER   PEOPLE

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily is “The Ability to Accept Other People.”

This is one of life’s great skills: The Ability to Accept Other People.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the highest, how good are you in accepting other people?

I’d assume your obvious next comment would be: “Well it all depends on who it is I’m being asked to accept?”

The obvious response to that comment would be: “Well, that’s the whole point.”

UNFORGETTABLE COMMENTS

Have you ever read something that you have never forgotten?

It could be a quote. It could be comment.  It’s just something that is like a bumper sticker on your car.

I have one. I often quote it. I often think about it. I often hear it in my brain when I run into certain situations. I read somewhere this comment: “The greatest sin is our inability to accept the otherness of other people.”

Years ago, I wrote a whole book on this topic: How to Deal With Difficult People. It’s out of print, so I’m not pushing it.  It sold  60,000 copies and was translated into Korean and  I still don’t know how to deal with difficult people. It told me a lot of people want the answer to that question.

How about you?

Do you have any difficult people in your life? Do you have some people whom you can’t accept or you find difficult to deal with?

One of my favorite scripture texts is, “Is it I, Lord?” 

That’s Matthew 26:22. Jesus says, “One of you is about to betray me.” and the disciples at the Last Supper say to Jesus one by one, “Surely, it’s not I, Lord?”

When I hear people complaining about priests or just people in general, I like to say, “Is it I, Lord?”

It’s not nice to be rejected or not liked or not accepted.

A SKILL TO LEARN

How many parents or friends or others have said to their kid or another, “Well, not everyone is going to like you.”

Teachers, waitresses, priests, human beings have to learn, “Not everyone is going to like you.”

I read somewhere, “Well, 1/3 are going to like you; 1/3 ain’t going to like you; and 1/3 don’t care.”

One of our priests told us - he’s no longer stationed here - so you don’t know who he was.  “I’m standing in the back of church on a Sunday morning and the cantor announces who the priest is - who will be saying the Mass, and I hear a voice say out loud, ‘Oh no!’”

What would that be like?

TODAY IS THE FEAST OF SAINT JOHN PAUL II.

Pope John Paul II was arriving at Kennedy Airport in New York.  This polish priest is out on the tarmac - with a crowd of big shots - many from the New York Archdiocese.  Some Monsignor - sort of in charge - spots this Polish priest from some small parish standing there. He goes over to him and says something like, “What are you doing here? This is for chancery staff - or something like that” and so the priest leaves and goes back home.”

The pope gets off the plane and looks around and immediately asks for his priest friend from Poland.

Silence.

Well the priest who ousted the pope’s friend - I heard he got stationed way upstate after that one.

EVERYONE HAS TO DEAL WITH THE ACCEPTANCE REALITY

Take popes.

They too have to deal with this issue of acceptance.

Pope John Paul II was our pope for 26 years. He travelled the world and was greeted by all kinds of people. However, someone shot him. Thank God, John Paul II recovered and the Pope ended up forgiving him. Then there was  a Spanish Priest who tried to stab Pope John Paul II with a bayonet at Fatima.

Not nice.

Next came Pope Benedict. He had his praise and I’m sure some complainers.

So too Pope Francis.

So too presidents and governors, pastors and parents.

Everyone gets their “Oh yes!” and “Oh no!’ votes.

BOTTOM LINE: A CONCLUSION

So that’s my homily for today.

My title was, “The Ability to Accept Other People.”

The bottom line is: we all need to learn how to deal with being accepted or rejected.  We all need to not commit the greatest sin: the inability to accept the otherness of the other person.


Get over it: people are different.

Get over it: not everyone is going to like or accept us.




No comments: