Sunday, August 26, 2018


THE  DEER  CRY


I arise today through the strength of heaven 
Light  of  sun,  radiance of moon 
Splendor  of  fire, speed of lightning 
Swiftness of wind, depth of the sea 
Stability of earth, firmness  of  rock 

I arise today through God's strength 
to pilot me 
God's eye to look before me 
God's wisdom to guide me 
God's way to lie before me 
God's shield to protect me 
From all who shall wish me ill 
Afar and a-near 
Alone and in a multitude 
Against every cruel, merciless power 
That may oppose my body and soul 
Christ with me, Christ before me 
Christ behind me, Christ in me 
Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ on my right, Christ on my left
Christ when I lie down, 

Christ when I sit down
Christ when I arise, 

Christ to shield me
Christ in the heart of everyone 

who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of everyone 

who speaks of me
I arise today. 

The "Deer's Cry" is also known by the name "St. Patrick's Breastplate" and is an  example of a lorica -- a "breastplate" or corslet of  faith recited for the protection of body and soul against all forms of evil...  The name of the hymn derives from a legend ... when Loequire, the High King of Tara, resolved to ambush and kill Patrick and his monks to prevent them from spreading the Christian faith in his kingdom.  As Patrick and his followers approached singing this hymn, the King and his men saw only a herd of wild deer and let them pass by.  The word 'cry' also has the sense of a prayer or petition. 

No comments: