Sunday, July 15, 2018

July 15, 2018


WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

People ask each other all the time,
“Where are you from?” They hear
our accent …. They look at our skin ….
They wonder: “Where are you from?”

Do I tell them that I’m from my parents
and they were the oldest and next to 
the youngest in their families - and they were 
from another country and another language?

Do I tell them about being the youngest
in my family and the schools I went to
and the places and people I’ve met and
been with - and what happened along the way?

Where am I from? I know and I don’t know.
And by the way, I’m still happening.
I’m still learning and listening. And I too am 
still wondering where I came from myself.


© Andy Costello, Reflections 2018
Father William Guri introduced
me to this Ted Talk last week.
I want to tag it here for you as well.

No comments: