Monday, March 12, 2018


A  REQUEST

INTRODUCTION

The title of my homily for this Fourth Monday in Lent is, “A Request.”

If you heard Jesus was nearby, and you could approach him, and make one request what would it be?

It’s like the old, “You got one wish” stories.

If you had one wish or one request, what would it be?

MAKE A LIST

Don’t blurt out your immediate response. Take your time. Make a list.

Be like a kid standing in an ice cream store - and all those flavors are in those big round containers - right in front of you - behind glass. Pick one.

FOR FAMILY, FRIENDS, OR WORLD

What would be your request?

The royal official from Capernaum - comes to Cana - where Jesus was and asks Jesus to heal his son - who was near death.

And Jesus heals the royal official’s son from a distance.

And the gospel of John for today says, “Now this was the second sign Jesus did when he came to Galilee from Judea.” [Cf. John 4: 43-54]

I don’t know what I would ask for - if I had one request.

For beginners, I would pick some family stuff where people are not talking to people.

Then again, there are people with cancer, who asked for prayers - for healing.  But why not pray for those doing cancer studies so a lot of people will be healed?

I think of one of our priests, Father Dennis Billy, who had bad cancer a few years back - but is doing very well  - is teaching, giving talks,  writing books and is doing good priestly stuff.

I prayed for him and a bunch of people like my niece Margie who is in remission from her cancer.

Or should I pray for so and so that he wake up and change?  How does that work?

WHAT ABOUT THE ACTION SIDE - THE WORK SIDE OF PRAYER?

One of my favorite sayings is, “Pray for potatoes - but pick up a shovel.”

The royal official got in his chariot or however he got to Cana - to make the request in person.

Today’s first reading from Isaiah 65: 17-21 has the Lord talking about creating a new heavens and a new earth.

That triggered the Woody Allen joke comment: “God created the world, except certain parts of New Jersey” 

Aren’t we making God’s prayer come true if we do our part to make our world beautiful. I know I have always been nudged by Buckmister Fuller’s comment: “Whenever you use a public bathroom, make it cleaner than when you walked in.”  I know I have been doing that ever since.  Fuller’s comment always triggers the Golden Rule.  I like a clean stall and sink in a bathroom - so why not make it happen for the next person?  I can do that - and wash my hands afterwards.

CONCLUSION

So that’s my homily. Make a wish. Make a request. Make a prayer. Then pick up a shovel and start digging.
                                                                             

No comments: